9 Benefits of Drinking Natural Coconut Water
This magical little fruit is becoming more and more popular as a health trend and there are some great reasons why. The coconut plant belongs to the Arecaceae family of palm trees and each nut may contain anywhere between 200 to 1000 ml of water. This elixir of life is low in fat but packs quite a punch in vitamins, minerals and other nutrients. Check out the top 10 benefits from drinking coconut water to see why you too should be stocking up.
1. Boost your energy: Kick that coffee or cola habit when searching for a quick jolt while at the office. While not a stimulant, the abundance of vitamins and electrolytes in a serving of coconut water helps boost your bodies’ energy levels naturally. Quit relying on highly caffeinated drinks packed with sugar, and opt for a longer lasting, healthier way to power through your day.
2. Fight dehydration: After a long and exhausting day in the sun or a taxing workout, coconut water helps replenish your body with potassium and other essential minterals. Coconut water also helps regulate our internal fluids and replenish and rehydrate our bodies. After a tough workout or a bout with the stomach flu, coconut water can work wonders on rehydrating.
3. Turn back time: Sure, coconut water can’t help you time travel, but the cytokinins in coconut water, according to researchers, have shown health benefits such as anti-aging, anti-carcinogenic, and anti-thrombotic effects. Enjoy a glass of coconut water to help your body age more gracefully and beautifully.
4. Improve your metabolism: Coconut water is also rich in naturally present bioactive enzymes that assist in increasing your metabolism and aiding the body in digestion.
5. Recover from digestive trouble: The electrolyte potassium in coconut water will not treat diarrhea, but it will help the body recover from a bout of loose stools. The high concentration of potassium and sodium are effective electrolytes that will replenish your body and help you recover and feel better faster.
6. Support healthy potassium levels: While many people love the tried and true, good old banana, coconut water is another rich source of potassium, which is critical in maintaining nerve and muscle function. Of course, you never want to take fruits and veggies out of your diet, but it is a nice way to get a solid punch of potassium when you need it.
7. Ditch the soft drinks: Sure, good old water is a must-consume staple in everyone’s diet but, if you ever get a craving for something with a bit of flavor, or a richer in consistency, coconut water is another option that will quench your thirst and satisfy your hydration needs. By no means should you ever stop drinking water, but when in the mood for a bit of that delicious nutty flavor, you can indulge without the guilt of all the added sugar and ingredients in colas and sodas.
8. Feel fuller: While Coconut water won’t rid you of cellulite, it does help satiate hunger after drinking a nice big glass of it. As a low fat option beverage, it is a great “in-between meals” snack that can keep you satisfied until your next meal.
9. Delight your taste buds: If you enjoy coconut water, and it’s smooth, refreshing nutty flavor, then dig in! As most fruits and vegetables the coconut is also rich in vitamins and nutrients so the more you enjoy it the better.
A small side note is that to receive all the amazing goodness that coconut water has to offer, it needs to be consumed very shortly after being exposed to air. This makes for a convenient low calorie beverage in locations that can grow fresh coconuts year round.
Remember nothing is a substitute for healthy choices, healthy foods, and regular exercise. Enjoy the great benefits of coconut water today.