Recipe: Moist Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake with Strawberry Sauce
Love your heart with chocolate, which has a positive impact on mood, blood pressure and blood vessels. The chickpeas in this cake make it rich and moist. It’s also great for those who want to avoid wheat flour. The berry sauce seeps into the chocolate quickly. Delicious!
Adapted from a recipe by Jean Carper.
1 ½ c semisweet chocolate chips
1 15.5 oz can chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
1 c. sugar (or substitute your favorite alternative sweetener)
½ tsp. baking powder
1 T. confectioners’ sugar (optional)
Quick Strawberry Sauce:
1 pint fresh strawberries, cut up into small pieces
½ c. raspberry jam
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Using a double boiler, heat the chocolate until melted, stirring consistently.
- In a blender or food processor, combine beans and eggs. Process until smooth.
- Stir in sugar (or other sweetener), baking powder and melted chocolate. Process again until smooth.
- Lightly grease 8 4-oz. custard cups, or ramekins. Divide batter evenly among baking dishes.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean. Cool and remove from pans.
- Place cakes upside down on a large plate and sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar (if using). Serve on individual plates with berry sauce.
- To make sauce, heat jam until melted using a double boiler. Stir in juice and strawberries.