Maintaining a healthy immune system can be a challenge in today’s world. With hectic schedules, eating on-the-go, the unavoidable exposure to toxins, and the relentless stress of everyday life, it’s no wonder so many of us are constantly feeling run down.
Sure, there are the run-of-the-mill seasonal bugs we all worry about, but when you factor in the ever-present antibiotic-resistant bacteria and mutating viruses experts warn us about each year, keeping your immune system strong is more important than ever.
The good news is, your immune system is wonderfully effective when it’s working the way it was designed to, but it may need a little help to keep it functioning optimally.
As someone who used to catch every bug that came around, I’ve spent most of my 15-year career in the natural health industry actively researching ways to boost my immune system. And this effort is really paying off, since I’ve gotten through the last 9 winters without getting sick!
That’s right — 9 years with no days “off” while working 12-14 hours a day at the office and still keeping up with my active family, which includes two very energetic young boys.
By combing through scientific research on the best natural immune system boosters available, I’ve learned how to “hack” my immune system with simple lifestyle changes and targeted nutritional support. And I’m happy to be able to share my secrets with you.
5 Basic Strategies for Fortifying Your Natural Defense System
As its name suggests, your innate immune system is your body’s natural defense system, which consists of a vanguard of cells and proteins that are always on alert for pathogenic invaders and ready to shoot first and ask questions later.
There’s a simple shortcut to strengthening your innate immune system that I’ll tell you about in a few minutes. But first, I want to help you lay the groundwork for optimal immune function for life with a few basic strategies. The key is to start now, especially when it comes to taking the immune-boosting supplements I’m going to tell you about below. Don’t wait until cold and flu season hit!
- Optimize your vitamin D levels. Vitamin D is critical to the activation of the innate immune response. If your levels of vitamin D decrease rapidly, which often happens with less direct sun exposure during the colder winter months, your vulnerability to infection increases. Most people need to take between 1,000 and 5,000 IU of vitamin D3 daily to achieve optimal vitamin D levels.
- Limit your sugar consumption. Sugar decreases your immune system’s ability to function almost immediately by inhibiting the activity of Natural Killer (NK) cells. The results of one studyshowed that the amount of sugar found in two sweetened beverages lowers immune response by 50% for up to five hours after it’s consumed!
- Aim to get at least 6-8 hours of rejuvenating sleep each day. During the day, the stress hormone cortisol circulates at high levels in the body suppressing your immune function. At night, cortisol levels drop, triggering the release of human growth hormone (HGH), which increases immune function and helps undo the physical stress exerted on our bodies throughout the day.
- Get regular, moderate exercise. Exercise increases circulation, which promotes the elimination of toxins and helps to move immune cells throughout your bloodstream more quickly. It can also help reduce stress, which is important in optimizing your immune system’s ability fight off infection.
- Add medicinal mushrooms to your diet. A few species, including shiitake, cordyceps, reishi and maitake, have been extensively researched and are renowned for possessing some of the most powerful immune supporting compounds in nature.[3,4]
There are also many herbs and supplements that you can use to boost your immune system. Some popular ones include echinacea, zinc, goldenseal and olive leaf.
But there’s one immune support supplement that I recommend above all others. It’s so effective, in fact, that even if you neglect to do every last one of the things I listed above, I truly believe that taking this one supplement daily could still radically improve your chances of staying well all winter long. Not only has it been shown in multiple clinical trials to be extremely effective at promoting a healthy innate immune response, I can also personally vouch for how well it works! Let me tell you more…
The #1 Way to Strengthen Your Immune System — in Just 2 Hours
My #1 recommendation for anyone looking for a simple, effective way to build immune strength is a unique yeast culture called EpiCor® that’s unlike any natural ingredient I’ve ever encountered.
The story behind EpiCor’s® discovery as an immune booster is certainly unusual. In the late 1800s, a farmer by the name of C.W. Bloomhall noticed that when his animals were fed table scraps fermented with sour milk, they stayed healthier than animals fed grains alone. In 1943, Bloomhall developed a specialized fermentation process to create a yeast culture for improving livestock health and productivity. He founded a company called Diamond V that is still a large manufacturer of unique, natural microbial fermentation products.
In 1998, managers at Diamond V noticed that factory workers who had direct contact with the yeast culture ingredient had unusually low sick leave rates.
Amazingly, it turned out that inhaling dust from the yeast was having a beneficial effect on the factory workers’ immune systems! Scientists at the company conducted a pilot study comparing the factory workers to a similar group of office workers who did not have regular contact with the yeast culture, and the results were astonishing.
The factory workers had increased activity of NK cells (the white blood cells that seek and destroy pathogens as part of your innate immune response), higher levels of the important mucosal antibody secretory IgA (sIgA) and lower levels of pro-inflammatory immune complexes when compared to office workers. After a few more years of clinical research, EpiCor®, a super-concentrated culture made from natural baker’s yeast, was created.
EpiCor® works in several ways to support your immune system — and the best part is it starts to work almost immediately. In one notable study, adults taking 500 mg of EpiCor® showed a rapid increase in immune activity — in just two hours. The number and activity of NK cells increased dramatically. NK cells are called “natural killer” because they don’t need help from other cells to differentiate “good” cells from “bad” cells and can respond quickly to eliminate pathogens. This makes them your greatest ally when it comes to fighting off infection.
Another human clinical trial showed that taking 500 mg of EpiCor® for 60 days increased levels of IgA — a key antibody found in your mouth, eyes, nose, gut lining and other mucus membranes throughout your body that helps trap pathogens before they can cause harm.
EpiCor® has also been shown to act like a prebiotic (“food” for friendly bacteria) by increasing levels of beneficial Bifidobacteria and Lactobacilli, as well as a short chain fatty acid called butyrate that is important for gut health. And if all of that weren’t enough, the phytonutrients found in EpiCor® give it a higher ORAC value (a measure of antioxidants) than healthy foods such as blueberries, red wine and pomegranate juice!
The Simple Immune Solution That Will Keep You Healthy All Winter
I truly believe that if you put all of the immune-boosting strategies I discussed above into action, you will experience profound benefits. But I know how hard it can be to stay on track, especially when it comes to things like avoiding sugar, getting enough sleep and exercising regularly. That’s why I approached the Scientific Advisory Board at my nutritional supplement company Stop Aging Now, which has been making premium grade dietary supplements for over 20 years, to see if we could come up with a solution — a convenient, affordable and, most importantly, effective supplement that people could take year-round to keep their immune systems strong.
Once I discovered EpiCor®, I knew we were on to something, but we wanted to take it a step further, so we added a blend of 4 medicinal mushrooms and effective doses of vitamins D3 and C to make an incredibly powerful formula called Immunity Defense™.
For a limited time, Live in the Now readers can get Immunity Defense for as low as $14.95 a bottle — plus free shipping. I encourage you to take advantage of this great deal. Click here to take advantage of this special offer.
I invite you to do your own research to make sure I’m not just shamelessly promoting my own product, but I think you’ll find no other immune support product quite like it. Here’s an overview of what makes Immunity Defense your absolute best choice for optimal immune system strength:
- EpiCor® Natural Yeast Extract (500 mg):This unique ingredient is the most clinically studied ingredient of this kind. Seven published human clinical trials, five of which were gold-standard randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled studies, show that EpiCor® supports a strong, healthy immune system. And it has been shown to boost immune activity in as little as two hours! When taken daily, EpiCor® has been shown to be a safe and effective way to keep your immune system healthy throughout the entire year.
- Proprietary Mushroom Immune Support Complex (100 mg): Immunity Defense contains a blend of some of the most powerful medicinal mushrooms in the world: shiitake, cordyceps, reishi and maitake. The amazing health benefits of mushrooms are primarily attributed to two classes of nutrients: polysaccharides and triterpenes, which help to modulate the immune system while reducing the harmful effects of stress on the body.
- Vitamins D3 (1,000 IU): Vitamin D has been shown to play a critical role in proper immune function, yet by some estimates, roughly 75% of adults aren’t getting enough. There are only two ways to get vitamin D in the amounts you need: sun exposure and dietary supplements. You can’t get enough from food and you need to spend more time in the sun than most people ever do, so for most people supplemental vitamin D is a must. Immunity Defense is made with the superior, 100% natural D3 form of vitamin D.
- Vitamin C (500 mg):Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that has been studied extensively for its ability to support immune health and function. Vitamins C and D work together to support the body’s immune system. Immunity Defense contains vitamin C in the form of pure ascorbic acid from a non-GMO source. (The vitamin C found in most supplements is synthesized from genetically modified corn.)
- Made in a FDA-inspected facility with Premium-Grade Ingredients: Immunity Defense is made in a FDA-inspected facility for quality you can trust using premium-quality herbs and industry-best quality controls. Rest assured, you get the finest ingredients available, from pristine U.S. facilities that I’ve personally inspected.
- Affordable and Risk-Free: Immunity Defense is available for as little as $14.95 per bottle for a one-month supply. Plus, when you use the link below, it ships to you for free and comes with an “any reason” 365-day money-back guarantee.
If you’re looking for the strongest possible day-to-day support for your immune system, then you owe it to yourself to give Immunity Defense a try! It will provide you with both rapid and long-lasting benefits.
For a limited time, Live in the Now readers can get Immunity Defense for as low as $14.95 a bottle — plus free shipping. I encourage you to take advantage of this great deal.
1. Journal Molec Med. 2010. 88(5): 441-450.
2. Am J Clin Nutr. 1973. 26(11): 1180-1184.
3. App Microbio Biotech. 2002. 60(3): 258-274.
4. Hobbs, Christopher. Medicinal Mushrooms: An Exploration of Tradition, Healing, and Culture. Botanica Press. 2002.
5. J Med Food. 2011. 14(9): 1002-1010.
6. Open Nutr J. 2008.2: 68-75.
7. J Agric Food Chem.2008. 56(18): 8319-8325.
Joshua Corn – Editor-in-Chief
Josh is a health freedom advocate and veteran of the natural health industry. He has been actively involved in the natural health movement for over 15 years, and has been dedicated to the promotion of health, vitality, longevity and natural living throughout his career. Josh has successfully overcome several personal health challenges through natural means, and believes that sharing information can empower people to take control of their health so they can solve their own problems and live life to its fullest potential. Josh is the founder and Editor-in-Chief of Live in the Now. Additionally he serves as CEO of Stop Aging Now, a company that has been formulating premium dietary supplements since 1995. Josh is currently working on his first book about natural health, and is gearing up to launch the Live in the Now radio show. In addition to his work in the natural health field, Josh is an avid outdoorsman, animal lover and enjoys “living in the now” with his wife and two sons.