Low-Fat Mixed Berry Clafouti
Eating berries every day can raise HDL cholesterol and lower blood pressure. Use fresh or frozen berries to make this light, satisfying dessert, which could also serve as a breakfast. Blueberries, black raspberries and cherries work especially well in this fruity custard.
Makes about six ¾ cup servings.
2 c. mixed berries, frozen or fresh
1 c. 2% milk
1/3 c. sugar
¼ c. flour
1 tsp. vanilla
1/8 tsp. nutmeg or allspice
1/8 tsp. salt
• Preheat oven to 350 degrees
• Lightly oil a 9-inch baking dish.
• Spread the berries out on the plate.
• In a large bowl, beat eggs till frothy and then gradually mix in the rest of the ingredients.
• Pour egg mixture over the berries and place in the oven. Cook for about 20-25 minutes for fresh berries, 30-35 minutes for frozen berries, or until firm and you can insert a knife and pull it out clean.
• Serve warm or cold.
Nutritional Information per Serving: 143 calories, 5.5 g protein, 23 g carbohydrates, 3.5 g fat (1.3 g saturated), 109 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 100 mg sodium.