What Happens Just 9 Days After Giving Up High Fructose Corn Syrup
It doesn’t take long for even one dietary change to produce results quickly. In a recent study, scientists found that ditching food containing high fructose corn syrup speeds up metabolism and enhances other body functions in only nine days.
In the new study published in The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association, researchers asked 40 obese children to cut sugar out of their diet completely. After nine days, the participants’ glucose and lipid metabolism improved, and they had less fat in the liver, said the authors.
“Epidemiologic studies suggest a link between excess sugar consumption and obesity, fatty liver disease, metabolic syndrome, and type 2 diabetes mellitus. One important pathway that may link these metabolic diseases to sugar consumption is hepatic conversion of sugar to fat, a process known as de novo lipogenesis (DNL),” said the authors.
You’ve probably heard about the many amazing ways taking a CoQ10 supplement can benefit your health, from increased energy and mental clarity to significantly improved heart health.
But there’s a shocking secret about the way some popular CoQ10 supplements are manufactured that these companies don’t want you to find out about. And if you fall victim to this ploy, you’ll miss out on CoQ10’s incredible ability to invigorate your health with its unparalleled antioxidant benefits.
While sugar is very unhealthful, fructose poses an even greater health threat because of DNL. Sugar is metabolized 20 percent in the liver and 80 percent in other parts of the body, but fructose is metabolized 90 percent in the liver. When people eat a diet high in fructose, the overburdened liver transforms it into fat. In addition, fructose doesn’t promote a feeling of satiety, which causes people to eat more. These factors explain why eating fructose leads to weight gain.
9 Days to Better Health
The researchers discuss how the study throws cold water on the popular notion that losing weight and improving health is hard to attain. It proves that making just the one change of eliminating fructose from the diet can lead to better wellness in a little over a week.
“While the rate of obesity continues to increase globally, there is a growing body of literature demonstrating how lifestyle and dietary interventions can have a profound effect. Many obese people seem to be mired in the fact that the management of obesity is long and very difficult. The present review details data demonstrating that changing the dietary intake of fructose can significantly reduce DNL and its unhealthy metabolic sequelae in as little as 9 days and, furthermore, this benefit can occur even without any loss of weight,” said the authors.
How to Avoid Fructose
High fructose corn syrup is found almost everywhere – in innumerable boxed, bagged and canned products. In fact, it’s contained in at least 75 percent of drinks and packaged foods due to the inexpensive cost and extra-sweet taste. Worse, in an effort to deceive consumers high fructose corn syrup even flies under the radar of several other names. Below are 7 tips on how to avoid it:
- Don’t buy processed food. When shopping in the supermarket, concentrate on the fresh, organic produce section. Breakfast cereals, jams, granola bars, coffee creamer and boxed dinners like macaroni & cheese typically contain fructose.
- Choose plain yogurt over the sweetened kind. You can sweeten it with fresh fruit.
- Since sugar and fructose is hidden in prepared dressings and sauces, make your own. (and consider making them using a healthier, natural sugar.)
- Avoid all soda. Although diet sodas don’t contain fructose, the artificial sweeteners they have are very harmful to health.
- Instead of drinking juices, eat fresh fruit.
- Frozen convenience foods, such as pizzas and ready made meals have fructose and other unhealthy chemicals, so purchase ingredients to prepare meals at home.
- As fructose is the sweetener of choice for baked goods, it’s best to avoid this section of the supermarket completely.
Mary West is a natural health enthusiast, as she believes this area can profoundly enhance wellness. She is the creator of a natural healing website where she focuses on solutions to health problems that work without side effects. You can visit her site and learn more at http://www.alternativemedicinetruth.com. Ms. West is also the author of Fight Cancer Through Powerful Natural Strategies.