As you may have heard, a recent study out of Western University and Tianyi Health Science Institute in Zhenjiang, Jiangsu, China recently found a breakthrough connection between remarkably “healthy agers” and having a healthy gut. According to the study authors, the diversity of the gut bacterial strains was the aspect that was similar among the healthy individuals. Analysis of the findings showed the gut microbiota of healthy elderly people resembled that of people decades younger. In fact, it differed little from the age of 30 to over 100.
So how can you put this knowledge to good use, without draining your wallet on ineffective “solutions”? If you suffer from digestive issues like gas, bloating, cramps, or occasional constipation or diarrhea, you’re certainly not alone. There are millions of Americans just like you. Even if your digestive system performed like clockwork when you were younger, it is not uncommon to find these issues becoming more frequent as you age.
You can hardly turn on the TV these days without seeing commercials for probiotic-fortified yogurts or probiotic supplements. Perhaps you’ve even tried one of these highly advertised “solutions” only to be left wondering why everyone you see on your screen looks so happy and active, while your digestive problems aren’t getting any better.
The truth is, you’d have to eat yogurt by the gallon to get the probiotic levels necessary to turn around stubborn digestive issues. And many probiotic supplements lack the targeted strains and “extra strength” many older adults need.
If you are currently taking anything to help with your digestive issues, let me ask you this:
- Can you really say you’ve seen a big improvement in your digestion?
- Are you feeling genuine relief from gas, bloating, or intestinal cramps?
- Is your resistance to colds and seasonal bugs any better than it was before?
- Do you continue to suffer with issues like heartburn, belching and acid indigestion?
Please don’t get me wrong. I’m convinced that probiotics can provide substantial benefits for digestive and immune health. And they are particularly important as we grow older and our intestinal function and resistance begin to lose their effectiveness.
But probiotic products are not “one size fits all.”
So if your current regimen isn’t providing you with relief from digestive discomfort, please keep reading. I’ll tell you about the targeted “extra-strength” solution your system may be begging for.
Turning Impressive Clinical Research Into an Effective Everyday Solution
Hundreds of studies have shown how probiotics can improve gastrointestinal health and promote stronger resistance to illness.
In a 2012 meta-analysis of 84 gold-standard trials, scientists concluded that probiotics are indeed beneficial for easing and preventing gastrointestinal issues.
A second review of studies in 2015 found that taking probiotics can boost immune response and reduce risk of colds and other respiratory illnesses. Other research indicates they can even have a positive impact on emotional health.
But studies are one thing and your experiences are another. If you’re not getting good results with your probiotic, you’re probably thinking…
“Why do probiotics work so well in the studies when mine barely works at all?”
Four Research Secrets That Let You Get the Most From Probiotics
The fact is, many companies love riding the coattails of all the positive research I cited above. But their probiotic products simply don’t measure up.
So how can you get the results you are looking for? Just do what researchers do. You can use the same four essential criteria to research and select a probiotic formula that will at last meet your expectations.
Research Secret #1: Insist on Premium Quality
Researchers don’t just grab the nearest probiotic supplement off the supermarket shelf, and neither should you. Scientists use the highest-quality probiotics they can to produce these great results.
Clearly, using poor-quality strains doesn’t make sense to a researcher, but it makes a lot of sense to many probiotic distributors. It’s one way they can cut their costs. But it weakens the impact, and you end up paying good money for precious little relief.
Worried about cost? Don’t be concerned. Premium quality doesn’t mean you need to spend a lot. You just need to know what to look for. More on that in a moment.
Research Secret #2: Don’t Skimp on Your Daily Serving Size
Some of the most impressive research is based on a daily serving size of 20-25 billion CFUs (colony forming units), because these levels have been shown to be safe and effective.[3,4]
This is important, because far too many probiotics don’t come close to providing beneficial levels like this. For example, two brands widely advertised on TV provide a daily serving of just 1.5 billion CFUs each.
One or two billion CFUs may seem like it should be plenty until you see the levels that most researchers test, and then it hits you how insufficient it really is. A daily serving of 10-20 billion CFUs is closer to the mark, and many people experience satisfactory results at these levels.
But in my experience, many people, especially older adults, benefit most from an “extra strength” daily serving of 20-25 billion CFUs. That may sound like a huge amount, but when you consider that friendly bacteria cells in your body outnumber human cells 10 to 1, it makes sense.
Research Secret #3: Make Sure Your Probiotics are “Healthy”
As you know, probiotics are living microorganisms that require extra care compared to other supplements. So you can bet scientists make sure that every batch of probiotics they use is in the most robust health possible.
That’s a far cry from many store-bought probiotics. In a 2013 analysis by a top consumer watchdog organization, roughly a quarter of the probiotics tested had just 56% or less of the living CFUs advertised on the label. One brand had just 16%!
Also, probiotics need ample food to thrive when stored in a capsule, and this comes in the form of prebiotics, something all probiotic products should have. Plus the really good probiotic products use advanced encapsulation to protect the cells during storage and to reduce their exposure to stomach acids when consumed. Cheap probiotics usually fail on one or both counts.
That brings me to the fourth research secret…
Research Secret #4: Take a Multi-strain Formula for Best Results
Many of the most impressive studies I’ve reviewed tested multiple strains together.[1,11,15] That’s why any probiotic formula you choose should contain several strains of both major bacterial families found in the intestines, Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium.
As a general rule of thumb, Lactobacillus strains are most active in the small intestine, while Bifidobacterium support colon health. Combining both supports your entire intestinal tract, while the different strains promote a broader range of beneficial effects.
I also suggest you include strains shown to support your body’s immune system, which is largely based inside your intestinal tract. Some specific strains have clearly demonstrated a superior ability to promote resistance to illness and you should take advantage of them.
8 Strains for Superior Digestive and Immune Health
While the names of the various probiotic strains may be mind-numbing, based on the extensive clinical research I’ve reviewed over many years, I firmly believe these eight strains truly stand out for both gastrointestinal and immune health support:
- Lactobacillus Shown to reduce urgent bowel “emergencies” brought on by antibiotic medications, and even promote stronger emotional health.[14,3]
- Lactobacillus acidophilus. Produces vitamin K and the enzyme lactase that help you digest lactose in your food. It’s often recommended for yeast issues.
- Bifidobacterium bifidum. Shown to promote healthy regularity and reduce bowel urgency, and strengthen immune health, too.[10,11]
- Bifidobacterium lactis Bl-04™. Promotes immune health benefits as well as digestive support. An Australian study found that daily intake resulted in a significantly lower risk of catching colds.
- Bifidobacterium longum. Supports healthy regularity and lactose digestion, and may work to inhibit harmful bacteria in the intestinal tract.[21-23]
- Bifidobacterium longum BB536™. Promotes healthy regularity and stimulates the immune system. One study of elderly patients found that it reduced the risk of a common seasonal illness that is particularly risky for older adults.[4,8,9]
- Lactobacillus rhamnosus. Helps ease intestinal bloating, pain and gas. It has also demonstrated promising results in easing urinary tract problems among postmenopausal women.
- Lactobacillus plantarum. Promotes less abdominal discomfort, bloating and gas, and a greater normalization of stools.[17-19]
Follow These Guidelines and You Can Enjoy Superior Results, Too
I hope these “research secrets” will help you understand and compare the wide range of probiotic products available.
When I was looking at the different options I was shocked by all of the poor-quality probiotics out there, and the ones with multiple high-quality strains and high CFU counts were often absurdly expensive.
That’s why I took it upon myself to develop an effective and affordable, extra-strength probiotic called PurBiotic® ULTRA. And it’s priced as low as $14.95 a bottle, making it one of the best probiotic options on the market today. Click here to take advantage of this special offer.
You see, in addition to my work with Live in the Now, I also run Stop Aging Now, a company that has been making premium-quality supplements for over 20 years. I developed PurBiotic ULTRA working with our Scientific Advisory Board to target the specific needs of older adults.
PurBiotic ULTRA Sets a New Standard of Excellence for Probiotic Support
Our goal was to develop a research-quality probiotic at an amazingly low price. We made sure to check off “YES” on every requirement for optimal probiotic effectiveness —just like the clinical researchers do.
The result is an advanced probiotic formula designed specifically for older adults to provide extra-strength relief.
Here’s why PurBiotic ULTRA joins the elite class of probiotic supplements:
- Eight high-quality probiotic strains. You get a scientifically formulated balance of clinically tested probiotics including all eight strains that I’ve named above: acidophilus, L. casei, L. rhamnosus, L. plantarum, B. longum, B. longum BB536, B. lactis, and B. bifidum.
- Top strains for immune health. PurBiotic ULTRA includes both longum BB536™ and B. lactis Bl-04™, which have been clinically shown to help combat colds and other seasonal illnesses that become more dangerous as we grow older.[4,5]
- A full 25 billion CFU serving size. This is an “extra-strength” probiotic formula, designed to help with the most stubborn digestive and colon issues. Many leading formulas contain a fraction of this amount.
- Not one, but TWO prebiotics to optimize viability. Every capsule includes NutraFlora®, a premium source of fructooligosaccharides (FOS), which aid the growth of beneficial bacteria, and inulin, a fiber that friendly bacteria thrive on.
- State-of-the-art encapsulation. We use an innovative capsule that’s resistant to stomach acids. This means the capsule only releases the probiotics when the contents start entering the small intestine, ensuring the cells reach your intestinal tract in the healthiest shape possible.
- No refrigeration needed. Typical probiotics require refrigeration, and risk heat damage and potency loss during unrefrigerated shipping and warehouse storage. PurBiotic ULTRA utilizes advanced heat stabilization technology so no refrigeration is needed to keep the friendly bacteria alive and potent.
PLUS PurBiotic ULTRA is:
- Made in Stop Aging Now’s own state-of-the-art, FDA-inspected facility located in Florida to meet or exceed stringent USP standards for quality, purity and potency.
- Available for as little as $14.95 per bottle (which lasts a full month). This is up to 3 times less than similar high-quality brands.
- Shipped to you for free and comes with an amazing 365-day “any reason” guarantee. This way you risk nothing!
And I offer this guarantee because I’m confident that you’re going to feel a difference when your system gets the support it needs.
Right now, Live in the Now Readers can get PurBiotic Ultra for as low as 14.95 a bottle, which is an incredible deal.
- PLoS ONE 7(4): e34938. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0034938.
- 2015. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews.
- Gut Pathogens. 2009 1:6
- Bioscience, Biotechnology, and Biochemistry. Volume 74, Issue 5, May 2010, pages 939-945
- Clinical Nutrition. August 2014. Volume 33, Issue 4, Pages 581–587
Phillips Colon Health: http://labeling.bayercare.com/omr/online/phillips-colon-health.pdf
- Prevention. Nov. 26, 2013.
- ioscience and Microflora. Vol. 16 (1997) No. 2, p.73-77
- Benef Microbes. 2016 Feb 3:1-10
- Br J Nutr. 2015 Feb 14;113(3):426-34.
- BMJ 2007; 335
- Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics. Volume 27, Issue 1, pages 48–57, January 2008
- Arch Intern Med. 2012 May 14;172(9):704-12.
- Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2001 Oct;13(10):1143-7.
- Am J Gastroenterol. 2000 May;95(5):1231-8.
- World J Gastroenterol. 2012 Aug 14; 18(30): 4012–4018.
- Lancet. 1987 Jul 4;2(8549):43.
- J Dairy Sci. 1996 May;79(5):750-7.
- J Food Prot. 2001 Nov;64(11):1667-73.
- CFU at time of manufacture