Recipe: Heart-Healthy Beef and Barley Soup
Use a fairly lean cut of grass-fed beef, such as top round, to make this dish lower in fat and higher in nutrients. Barley and veggies add lots of cholesterol-lowering soluble fiber. Veggies also contain heart-healthy nutrients, and you can always add extra veggies. This soup freezes well, so save leftovers for a busy night.
1 T. olive oil
1 lb. cubed grass-fed beef
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 c. bone broth plus 2 cups water OR 2 beef or veggie bouillon cubes plus 4 c. water
2 tsp oregano
½ c. diced carrots
½ c. diced turnip
1 bay leaf
½ c. pearled barley
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and brown the beef cubes on all sides.
- Stir in the onion and garlic. Cook until tender.
- Put ingredients into a crockpot.
- Add oregano, bay leaf, bouillon cubes and water (or bone broth and water.)
- Cook on low for a minimum of 4 hours or until you get home.
- Add the carrots, turnips and barley, and cook for another hour or until the veggies and barley are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.