Summertime Recipe: Refreshing Salmon Berry Salad
As we recently discussed in our article, Eat Fish Twice a Week for a Healthy Heart, a newly released scientific advisory reaffirmed the American Heart Association’s (AHA) recommendation of eating fish twice a week to help lower your risk of heart attacks, ischemic strokes, coronary heart disease and heart failure.
And according to the AHA, the emphasis should be placed on eating oily fish, such as salmon, albacore tuna, herring, mackerel and lake trout. So we’re sharing a scrumptious salmon berry salad recipe to help get your summer started.
Fresh Salmon Berry Spinach Salad Recipe
This wonderfully healthful salad combines grilled salmon with fruit, making it a perfect meal to enjoy in the summertime. It’s courtesy of iFit’s registered dietitian, Megan Ostler MS, RDN, CNSC.
Prep time: 10 minutes, Cook time: 0 minutes, Total time: 10 minutes
Serving Size: 3 cups
Makes 4 servings
- 3 tablespoons Bright Citrus Dressing
- 6 ounces salmon, grilled
- 5 cups mixed greens
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 2 cups mixed berries
- 1 large, white peach, sliced
- 2 ounces pecans, chopped
Bright Citrus Dressing
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon orange zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- Add all vinaigrette ingredients to a small bowl or cup, and blend with an immersion blender using the whip attachment. For best flavor, use freshly squeezed lemon and orange juice.
- Add all ingredients for salad in a bowl. Set aside.
- Toss all ingredients together in a large salad bowl and enjoy!
Nutritional Information per Serving
290 total calories; 180 calories from fat; 21 g total fat; 3 g saturated fat; 25 mg cholesterol; 90 mg sodium; 17 g carbohydrates; 6 g dietary fiber; 9 g sugar; 12 g protein.
Mary West is a natural health enthusiast, as she believes this area can profoundly enhance wellness. She is the creator of a natural healing website where she focuses on solutions to health problems that work without side effects. You can visit her site and learn more at http://www.alternativemedicinetruth.com. Ms. West is also the author of Fight Cancer Through Powerful Natural Strategies.