This Smoothie Ingredient Can Reset Your Health
Science is proving that the old adage “You are what you eat” is true in more ways than you might have imagined. Research confirms that people who eat the most fruits and vegetables feel the best, enjoy the best health and live the longest.
But unfortunately, eating pure, nutritious food is not always easy with the abundance of highly processed, genetically engineered (GMOs) and sugar-laden foods we’re inundated with these days. And even if you do manage to eat a healthy diet, you’re probably still not getting all of the nutrients you need on a daily basis.
While the government’s official recommendation is to eat five servings of vegetables per day, many experts I talk to say that based on their declining nutritional value, you really need to eat more like seven to ten, which very few people actually do.
Food Just Isn’t the Same as It Used to Be
I’m Dr. Erin Kinney, Naturopathic Physician and Medical Editor for the Live in the Now newsletter, one of the fastest growing natural health publications in the nation. I’m a strong advocate of homeopathic remedies and herbal medicine, which I regularly practice at my clinic in Maryland. And I’m committed to educating people on how this kind of deep healing and rejuvenation can be accomplished by using natural plant-based solutions that are safe, effective and practical.
If you’ve been struggling with nagging health concerns, or are feeling run down or otherwise less than your best, please keep reading. Because if I could give you just one piece of dietary advice, it would be to worry less about eating perfectly at every meal, and focus more on incorporating superfoods into your diet on a daily basis.
You see, the unfortunate truth is most of the food produced today has had many of the health-promoting components bred out of it through hybridization, genetic manipulation and other modern industrial agricultural practices. In fact, according to recent USDA statistics, vitamin and mineral levels in commercially grown fruits and vegetables have fallen by as much as 85% over the last 40 years.
For example, as compared to 1975…
- Broccoli now contains 50% less calcium
- Collard greens contain 60% less potassium and 85% less magnesium
- Apples contain 41% less vitamin A
- Bell peppers contain 31% less vitamin C
This is exactly why I believe that including a special class of extremely nutrient-dense foods known as “superfoods” in your diet can play a crucial role in maintaining optimal health.
The term “superfood” has become somewhat of a marketing buzzword lately, but it’s not always used in a meaningful or accurate way. A true superfood nourishes your body at the deepest level possible with the antioxidants, trace minerals, essential amino acids, polysaccharides and other micronutrients that are largely absent from our modern diet.
The Easy Way to Rebuild Your Body to Recharge Your Health
Not only do the foods you put into your body influence your appearance, mood, energy levels and well-being on a day-to-day basis, they literally become the proteins that make up the cells that are your skin, heart, brain, lungs, liver and other organs.
For example, did you know that some cells, such as those that form the lining of your stomach and small intestine, renew themselves completely in as few as three days? Some experts claim that your entire body, in effect, renews itself every two years!
So it is truly possible to rebuild your body, and recharge your health, at any age by providing it with the high quality raw materials it needs to generate new, healthy cells.
Superfoods: The Missing Piece to the Nutritional Puzzle
In my view, superfoods represent the missing piece to the nutritional puzzle of eating for optimal health in the modern age. And while modern technology is to blame for many of the problems with our food system and health, we can take advantage of technological advances to easily and conveniently ensure that you are eating healthy each and every day!
And there is no doubt that convenience is a major factor for most of us when it comes to making sustainable dietary shifts.
That’s why I got so excited when I started to see green superfood powders made from ingredients like barley grass and spirulina become widely available. These powders made it possible to incorporate massive doses of phytonutrients into my daily routine without having to wash, peel, chop, cook or juice a single thing!
The Importance of Alkalizing with Mineral-Rich Green Foods
The process of digesting the food you eat affects your body’s pH balance, which must remain within a narrow range for optimal health. The typical American diet tends to move the body’s pH toward the acidic end of the spectrum with its abundance of acid-forming meats, dairy, processed foods, breads, cereals, sweeteners and soft drinks.
The burning pain and damage caused by acid indigestion is just one example of how eating too many acid-forming foods can impact your health. Over time, the work your body must do to neutralize the acidic load can cause your health to deteriorate. There is some evidence to suggest that excess acidity can trigger a wide range of problems, including microbial imbalances, inflammation, joint discomfort, skin problems and moodiness.
The good news is that even if your diet contains acid-forming foods, consuming green foods can help bring your body back toward a healthy state of alkalinity.
3 Top Superfoods That Are Far Superior to Spinach and Kale
Chlorophyll, the pigment that gives leafy green vegetables, grasses, algaes and other plants their green color, is extremely alkalizing. With a molecular structure similar to that of hemoglobin, the protein that carries oxygen throughout the body and makes blood red, chlorophyll also has numerous health benefits, ranging from balancing your body’s pH to supporting cellular detoxification and digestive regularity. Green foods are also rich in a wide array of trace minerals, amino acids, enzymes, antioxidants and other phytonutrients.
While leafy greens like kale and spinach are a good source of chlorophyll and are quite nutritious, they don’t come close to offering the nutrient density found in these top three green superfoods:
- Barley Grass: The shoots of the barley plant, barley grass is high in essential amino acids, enzymes and vitamins, particularly C, K and E. It’s also packed with minerals, including iron, calcium and magnesium. Plus, barley grass contains high levels of superoxide dismutase (SOD), a powerful antioxidant that scavenges cell-disrupting free radicals in the body. Many of the nutrients it provides are not found in any of the other green vegetables that typically make up our diets.
- Spirulina: Spirulina is a type of freshwater blue-green algae that has been consumed as part of traditional diets throughout the world for centuries. 60% protein by weight, spirulina offers the full profile of essential amino acids that the human body needs and is also incredibly rich in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and other essential micronutrients. And spirulina is highly digestible, so the nutrients it contains are extremely easy to absorb, which makes it an incredibly valuable food source.
- Chlorella: Chlorella is another type of freshwater blue-green algae. It was once impossible for humans to absorb nutrients from chlorella because of its thick cell walls. However, modern technology can now crack into those cell walls, releasing chlorella’s wide array of essential fatty acids, vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients that otherwise would resist digestion. Chlorella is extremely rich in chlorophyll, and it’s known for its ability to help chelate or remove toxic metals from the body.
Berries & Superfruits: Nature’s Antioxidant Powerhouses
You’ve undoubtedly heard about the health benefits of consuming berries. Sales of blueberries have skyrocketed in the U.S. as word has spread about the heart, brain and whole body benefits of the potent anthocyanins they contain. Well, blueberries certainly qualify as a superfood in my book.
But in addition to blueberries, I’ve identified seven other “superfruits” with potent nutrient profiles: cranberry, raspberry, strawberry, apple, acerola (a type of cherry from the Amazon), pomegranate and amla (an Ayurvedic herb also known as Indian gooseberry).
Amla has generated a tremendous amount of interest recently, as research has begun to suggest that is has a positive impact on blood glucose, lipid profiles, endothelial function and arterial flexibility. Clinical studies on a patented amla extract called Capros® are particularly intriguing. This research shows that Capros® amla extract provides powerful support for cardiovascular health.
Medicinal Mushrooms & Superherbs to the Rescue
Recent research has validated much of what herbalists around the world have known for thousands of years about the benefits of consuming certain mushroom species. Studies have shown that a type of polysaccharide found in medicinal mushrooms, called beta-glucans, have the ability to modulate the immune system by lowering an over-active immune response, or stimulating an under-active immune response.
When used over a period of time, beta-glucans build, strengthen and balance the immune system. Triterpenes, another class of compounds found in mushrooms, help the body deal with stress by regulating and normalizing bodily functions, while also helping to increase oxygen uptake and supporting liver function. Based on my research, I would place shiitake, cordyceps, maitake and reishi at the top of my list of mushroom species.
And while I think medicinal mushrooms deserve a place in everyone’s daily regimen, there are also several “superherbs” that are universally beneficial for just about everyone. They include turmeric, cinnamon, milk thistle, green tea, pine bark, grape seed and papaya leaf. These potent herbs do amazing things like help to promote a healthy inflammatory response, balance blood sugar levels, support liver health, boost metabolism and optimize cardiovascular health.
The Green Superfood Powder I Recommend
Like every other trendy supplement and health food product, there are a lot of junk superfood powders out there, so you need to be careful — really careful. That’s because these powders contain highly concentrated ingredients, and if the ingredients were grown with pesticides or other chemicals, you could end up consuming concentrated levels of lead, arsenic or other dangerous heavy metals.
I actually got so frustrated with hearing my patients and readers complain about the low quality, high cost and general unpalatable taste of the green superfood powders out there that I decided to set out to find a better solution.
So I teamed up with Blessed Herbs®, which has been making premium-quality herbal products for over 30 years. Superfood Bio Blend™ Powder is the perfect match because it combines premium-quality amounts of all of the top superfoods I mentioned above and then some, for a total of over 40 deeply nourishing, natural ingredients.
And just as important, every batch is thoroughly tested to make sure it is free from any dangerous contaminants. Best of all, it’s amazingly affordable and my patients say that they love the taste. And its extremely convenient as a very healthy addition to smoothies, juices and even salad dressings.
For a limited time, Live in the Now readers can get Superfood Bio Blend Powder for as low as $27.95 for a one-month supply — plus free shipping. I encourage you to take advantage of this great deal. Click here to take advantage of this special offer.
Superfood Bio Blend Powder is designed to quickly and conveniently balance out gaps in your daily diet, while supercharging your health. It’s become a staple of my daily routine. Here’s an overview of why I think you’ll find no better superfood green powder out there:
- Organic Ingredients: Just like fresh fruits and veggies, powdered green foods have the potential to soak up pesticides and other chemicals from their growing environments. And because a huge amount of raw material is used to make green powders, there is potential for significant levels of pesticide residues. You can rest assured that the ingredients in Superfood Bio Blend Powder are not contaminated with any dangerous toxins.
- Barley Grass, Spirulina, Chlorella and More: Superfood Bio Blend Powder contains an array of green plant foods including extremely nutrient-dense foods like barley grass, the blue-green algaes spirulina and chlorella, as well as broccoli, kale and parsley. It also contains carrot, beet and tomato for additional phytonutrient benefits.
- Capros® Amla, Blueberries and Other Superfruits: Superfood Bio Blend Powder provides a wide array of free radical-fighting antioxidants from whole berries and other fruits. The unique phytonutrients found in these superfruits promote optimal cardiovascular and cognitive function, healthy aging and optimal wellness.
- Medicinal Mushrooms and Herbs: Superfood Bio Blend Powder supports optimal, robust immune function and overall health with a blend of shiitake, cordyceps, maitake and reishi mushrooms. It also contains seven potent herbs, including turmeric, cinnamon, milk thistle and others for additional benefits.
- Probiotics and Enzymes: Superfood Bio Blend Powder supports optimal digestive function with over 1 billion CFU of beneficial probiotics and a blend of digestive enzymes. This helps to ensure that your body is able to extract and absorb the multitude of nutrients found in the Superfood Bio Blend Powder formula.
- Great Taste: Superfood Bio Blend Powder is flavored with natural stevia and lemon, so it has no added calories from sugar. Simply mix a scoop of Superfood Bio Blend Powder with water, juice or your favorite beverage. It smells and tastes great, and you have the peace of mind knowing that you’re getting a comprehensive spectrum of phytonutrients, polyphenols and antioxidants on a daily basis.
- It’s Affordable: Superfood Bio Blend Powder is available for as low as $27.95 for a one-month supply, which is the same or even less than many discount, low-quality products. It’s not available in stores but it ships to you for free!
- You Can Try It Risk-Free: Superfood Bio Blend Powder comes with an “any reason” 365-day guarantee. That’s right, if you aren’t completely satisfied I’ll gladly send you a full refund — up to one year after purchase. So you can try it risk free!
The Easy Way to Rebuild Your Body & Recharge Your Health Every Day
Best of all, with Superfood Bio Blend Powder you’ll know that you’re getting complete, balanced nutrition — from premium-quality raw materials — to literally rebuild your body on a daily basis. You’ll quickly notice more energy and better digestion and the benefits just keep getting better over time.
One of the common complaints about green powders is the taste, but here is what satisfied customer, Brian Coleman from Chicago, Illinois recently emailed: “I was quite surprised at how pleasant Superfood Bio Blend Powder tastes. Most green drinks taste nasty but not this one.”
And if you have it at breakfast like I do, you’ll know you’ve already done one of the most important things you can do for your overall health before you even leave the house each day.
For a limited time, Live in the Now readers can get Superfood Bio Blend Powder for as low as $27.95 for a one-month supply — plus free shipping. I encourage you to take advantage of this great deal.
1. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2014:jech-2013.
2. “Vegetables Without Vitamins.” Life Extension Magazine. March 2001.
3. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol. 2014;15:19-3.
4. Nutr Res. 2007;27(1):1-12.
5. Czech J Food Sci. 2006;25(2):65-72.
6. Microbiol Rev. 1983;47(4): 551-78.
7. Appl Environ Microbiol. 1987;53(12):2953-2956.
8. Pharmacognosy Res. 2014 Jan;6(1):29.
9. Appl Microbiol Biotech. 2002;60(3): 258-274.
10. Hobbs, Christopher. Medicinal Mushrooms: An Exploration of Tradition, Healing, and Culture. Botanica Press. 2002.
Dr. Kinney is a doctor of Naturopathic Medicine, an adrenal fatigue expert and the founder of the Body Wisdom Method. She specializes in helping women balance their stress hormones, improve their mood and increase their energy. Many of the patients at her clinic in Annapolis, Maryland suffer from anxiety, insomnia, thyroid disorders, digestive issues, weight gain, joint pain and more. She is extremely passionate about teaching women how to rebalance and restore their innate healing ability.
She received a bachelor of arts from Vanderbilt University and is a summa cum laude graduate of the University of Bridgeport College of Naturopathic Medicine (UBCNM). Dr. Kinney is an active member of the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians and passionate about spreading awareness about Natural Medicine. She enjoys yoga, traveling, reading, and spending time with her family.