Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Search in posts
Search in pages
Mag360 Top Banner



Foods Rich in This Vitamin May Ward Off Cataracts


woman with orange Once again, research reveals the value of fruits and vegetables in disease prevention. A study published in the journal Ophthalmology found high dietary intake of vitamin C foods may help prevent cataracts. These are a common eye disorder associated with aging.

“While we cannot totally avoid developing cataracts. We may be able to delay their onset and keep them from worsening significantly by eating a diet rich in vitamin C,” said study lead researcher Dr. Christopher Hammond.

Cataracts are a condition that involves the clouding of the eye lens. In some people, the disorder is more severe. It can cause blurred vision and glare that can’t be corrected with glasses or contact lenses. The diseased lenses can be removed. However, they are the top cause of blindness worldwide.

Vitamin C Foods Reduce Cataract Risk by One-Third

In the study at King’s College London, researchers tracked the progression of cataracts in 324 pairs of female twins over a period of ten years. Photographs of the participants’ lenses were examined to determine the degree of opacity. And their vitamin C intake was measured through a food questionnaire. The findings showed those who consumed higher amounts of vitamin C had a 33 percent reduced risk of cataract progression. They also had clearer lenses after ten years compared to those who consumed less amounts. Participants in the lower-risk group consumed at least double the recommended dietary allowance of 75 milligrams per day for women. 90 milligrams per day for men.

Diet Is More Important Than Genetics

This is the first research to indicate diet and lifestyle are more important than genetics in cataract development and severity, note the researchers. They estimate that genetics is responsible for approximately 35 percent of a person’s cataract risk. Diet and environmental factors are responsible for the remaining 65 percent.

Why Vitamin C Is Beneficial for the Eyes

According to the study’s authors, vitamin C’s antioxidant power may be the factor that reduces the likelihood of cataracts. The fluid inside the eye normally has a high content of vitamin C. This helps curtail oxidation that causes the clouding of the lens. A diet plentiful in vitamin C-rich foods will increase the amount of the vitamin in the eye fluid. It is a benefit that provides more protection against the disorder.

“As an ophthalmologist, I encourage patients to consider their eyes as much their waistline when selecting their meals,” David Tanzer, M.D., Chief Medical Officer, Divisional Vice President of Medical Affairs, Abbott Vision, tells Live in the Now. “Many companies are heavily investing in new research and development to find better treatment options for cataracts. But it’s promising to know that people can take an important first step in reducing their risk by making healthy food choices.”

Foods High in Vitamin C

Citrus fruits are known for being a good source of vitamin C. Surprisingly, though, some other fruits and vegetables contain even higher amounts. Best fruit sources include strawberries, mangoes, kiwi, papaya and pineapple. Best vegetable sources include kale, broccoli, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts.


Mary West is a natural health enthusiast, as she believes this area can profoundly enhance wellness. She is the creator of a natural healing website where she focuses on solutions to health problems that work without side effects. You can visit her site and learn more at Ms. West is also the author of Fight Cancer Through Powerful Natural Strategies.

Healthy Living Starts Here

Never miss out on valuable information. Subscribe to our newsletter today!

Leave a Comment Below

Comments are closed.